- It’s all about giving consumers a choice in the grocery store, just like we label organics, nutrition facts, and Kosher Foods(even though it’s not relevant to many). 64 countries already require labels.
- Farmers that don’t want to be controlled by huge multi-national corporations who become the only source of seed would be able to distinguish there products. GMO’s decrease seed diversity because the farmers can no longer save the patented seed.
- Labeling GMO foods would assist shoppers who are concerned about the potential effects of increased pesticides and herbicides to make informed purchasing decisions
- Genetical modification is not the same as traditional breading and there is a lot we do not know, but if we are going to put fish genes into apples, we want to know about it.
- Labeling may cost an estimated $2.30 per per person per year if companies choose to package with Oregon specific labels in order to comply with our new law. It will give Oregonians something Americans value, choice.
Our opponents are now spending over $7 million on misinformation ads to confuse and frighten voters. They are sparing no expense to get their way. And that’s why we need to mobilize our grassroots energy right now.
In the next three weeks, we need to keep more than 55,000 Oregon soft supporters to pledge to vote yes if we are going to win! That means we have connect with at least 75,000 of them. We can’t let our supporters fall prey to our opponent’s massive disinformation campaign.
That’s where endorsers like you come in! We need your supporters to sign up to make phone calls! We can call from anywhere in the country! All we need is a phone and a computer with internet access.
Oregonians need to hear from you about why labeling is so important. To signup click http://bit.ly/1szoLEl . You will get a follow up email and a call from the campaign and you will be set to help us win labeling of GMO foods.
We had 27 volunteers that got more than 700 signatures to get this on the ballot! Thank you all for your ongoing energy and support of this campaign- we couldn’t do it without you. If you want to continue to take action with this campaign you can do so by making calls to Oregon voters.
Learn more about myths and other facts: http://oregonrighttoknow.org/myths/
Below is a letter from Coalition Director Steve Dixon.
Ballots hit mailboxes across Oregon on October 16th – which means we have less than two weeks left to contact voters about GMO labeling before the first ballots are cast!
We have A LOT of work to do! In under a month, we need to call over 250,000 Oregon voters and connect with at least 75,000 of them and we need your help!
Oregon voters are being hammered with a huge disinformation campaign about
Measure 92 funded by the likes of Monsanto, PepsiCo and Dow to the tune of $5.45 MILLION – and we’re counting on you to help us fight back.
Activists from across the country are using our new digital calling tool to connect with tens of thousands of key Oregon voters. This means that no matter where you live, you can help spread the word about Yes on 92.
Once you and your members click on the link someone will be in touch to help get you started!
I really hope you will step up and share your grassroots energy with voters – we are counting on you!
Thanks for your support,
Yes on 92!