Oregon Rural Action is seeking a Lead Organizer initially to coordinate and manage all aspects of a multi–county organizing assessment and then to function as an ongoing Lead Organizer.
Oregon Rural Action seeks an experienced community organizer who relates well with people of diverse backgrounds, is disciplined and detail-oriented, can juggle competing responsibilities, thinks strategically, has a passion for community organizing and shares the mission and values of Oregon Rural Action. Night and weekend meetings as well as overnight travel are required. The position is based in the picturesque small town of La Grande, Oregon, surrounded by the Eagle Cap and Blue Mountains.
- Train, supervise and support a team of outreach coordinators for multi-county organizing assessment.
- Gather basic social, economic and demographic assessment information.
- Gain a working understanding of the local political landscapes, power relationships, and people of influence in the assessment communities.
- Ensure that one-on-ones are conducted with a cross-section of people including family farmers, ranchers, Latinxs, Native Americans, opinion leaders, public officials and allies.
- Identify organizing issues relevant to local needs that will move local residents to join Oregon Rural Action and inspire them to help organize successful grassroots campaigns.
- Recruit members with the goal of signing up as many members as possible.
- Compile interview and research results and write a final assessment report with recommendations for the ORA board.
- Work with ORA board and staff to develop and carry out organizing plans based on assessment recommendations.
- Build strategic partnerships with other organizations.
- Community organizing experience and a commitment to the principles of community organizing.
- Experience planning and running issue campaigns.
- Supervisory experience.
- Knowledge and experience building grassroots organizations.
- Bi-lingual in Spanish a plus.
- A working vehicle with a valid driver’s license.
$30,000. to 40,000. per year depending on experience plus $500. per month health insurance stipend.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a resume, cover letter and three references to:
Oregon Rural Action: Attention Personnel Committee
PO Box 1231
La Grande, OR 97850
OR by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Review of applications begins June 30, 2017 and continues until position is filled. For more information, contact Personnel Committee Chair Anna Maria Dill at email@example.com